Saturday 25 October 2014

Topic: "How green are you"



Today, environmentally friendly practices are learned by the people mainly in the school, with government and ONG's campaigns or the school program itself. Also, the mass media is giving a lot of information about the ecological practices, so the people learn from there, too.

Although I not separate my house waste by source, I still have other recycling habits. When something is not working or is broken, I try to fix it before disposal. Also, I prefer to buy used things, reusing it, rather than buying new items. Finally, I try not to discard anything without first seek a new utility. About the transport, I prefer the Metro because is less contaminating, and to walk, too, instead of take a Transantiago or taxi. I have not the bicycling habit, but I hope to use a bike on the future.

Another effort I make to care the environment is my diet. I am a vegetarian, and one of the reasons I have to be, is that the cattle industry, besides cruel, unnecessary and unfair, is currently the most polluting activity on the planet. So, not eating meat, I reduce my carbon print.

I'm not part of any organization or support directly to any, because two reason: first, because I don’t like the big ONG like Greenpeace or Oceana, because they have a very hierarchical and capitalist logical, which makes me distrust; and second, just because I have not taken the time to support local organizations, like Salvemos el Panul.

In my view, the problem with the environmental issue in the chilean society is the Culture: the society of consuming prioritizes convenience over sustainability, without worrying about tomorrow, when that comfort may not hold more

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home